Ways to Help Your Child at Home
Family Reading Time
- Set aside time to read with your child in English OR your child's first language. Your child needs a good foundation to build on.
- Talk about the story:
- Take a Picture Walk
- Make Predictions
- Ask Questions
- Make Connections
- Create a shopping list with your child.
- Identify different foods.
- Show your child how to weigh fruits and vegetables.
- Develops oral communication
- Fosters social development
- Creates friendships and close ties with classmates
- Encourage children to write letters.
- Teach them how to address an envelope.
- Take a trip to the post office to mail the letter.
- Play letter games in the car using street signs.
- Play “I Spy” with common items in the car.
- Discuss what is happening outside the windows. Encourage your kids to give you details about what they are seeing.
- Make up a silly story. Be sure that your kids include a beginning, middle and end to the story.
- Have fun! Kids will have more to talk about and write about in school if they are excited to talk about it.