English Learners: Program Overview
Over 20 different languages are spoken by our students in Sharon Public Schools. At Cottage Street we value our diverse community of learners!
Our students come to school with a variety of experiences speaking, writing, and reading in English. English language instruction for students identified as English Learners (ELs) is designed to support students with social and academic English language. In addition to the instruction all English Learners receive in their classroom from their SEI (Sheltered English Immersion) endorsed classroom teacher, certified EL teachers also support ELs in their classroom and/or in a small group. We talk, read, write, and listen to each other to make progress with our English language!
What can I do to support my child at home?
- Read together (in any language) and talk about what you read. Who was your favorite character? What do you think is going to happen next?
- Visit and talk about different places in town: the library, post office, grocery store
- Consider having your child join a club or a team
- Listen to audiobooks at home or in the car
- Let your child help you write the grocery list