File: DA - FISCAL MANAGEMENT
The School Committee must make fiscal decisions that are transparent to its stakeholders, responsible to citizens, and that will ensure sustainability of a high-quality school system well into the future. Toward these ends, the School Committee shall:
- Establish levels of funding that provide the resources necessary to meet the learning needs of children in the district;
- Strive to ensure that students have equitable access to resources in the core program at each school. Nothing shall prevent pilot or innovative programs at one school.
- Engage in strategic planning that involves a broad base of stakeholder input about the future needs of the schools;
- Maintain a five-year Capital Outlay plan;
- Employ sound business practices in design and implementation of the annual budget;
- Establish efficient procedures for accounting, reporting, purchasing and receiving, payroll, payment of vendors and contractors, and all other areas of fiscal management; (receive the audit of these procedures)
- Notify the Town Administrator as early as practicable of the preliminary budget for each fiscal year, and to notify him/her of the meeting date when the preliminary budget will be reviewed by the School Committee.
- Report to citizens at least once per year about the fiscal status of the School Department;
- Work cooperatively with other Town bodies to inform and discuss budgetary priorities;
- Strive to ensure district services are delivered in a cost-effective manner and consistent with the District’s educational objectives.
Revised: June 8, 2016