SC Minutes 09/05/2012
SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
School Committee Meeting
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Sharon Middle School
75 Mountain Street
Sharon, MA 02067
Present: Jeffrey Cruzan, Katie Currul-Dykeman, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee, Veronica Wiseman
Absent: John Hitter
Also present: Tim Farmer, Glenn Brand, all members of the SHS student representatives to the School Committee, Jose Libano
L. Salomons called the Open Session meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.
There were no community members present for Open Forum.
• A letter from a Sharon resident who has rented school facilities for a number of years requesting that the School Committee review/reconsider the S.C. Policy on school facility rental fees.
Student Advisory Committee
The student advisory committee members (Manal Cheema, Max Crooks, Tyler Pirrello, Matt Reeves (Venkatasai Redddivari absent) were introduced to the Committee by Principal Jose Libano. The students updated the Committee on recent happenings/events at SHS.
• Club sign-ups are underway
• Senior parents’ night is scheduled for next week
• Fall sports are underway
• Clean-up day is scheduled for October 12th
• The new Federal guidelines re: school lunches has been implemented
• School store is open
Mr. Farmer introduced Dr. Elizabeth Bettencourt, Instructional Coach, to the Committee. Dr. Bettencourt comes to the Sharon Public Schools from the Plymouth Public Schools. She has a Master’s Degree in Reading & Literacy from Endicott College and a Doctorate of Education, Curriculum & Instructional Leadership from Northeastern University. With the aid of PowerPoint, Dr. Bettencourt explained the role of Instructional Coach and her objectives/goals for the coming school year.
Following Dr. Bettencourt’s presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee. Dr. Bettencourt will meet with the Committee at the end of the school year to present an overview of the 2012-2013 school year.
• A. Consent Agenda
L. Salomons asked for a motion to approve the following consent agenda items:
1) Approve meeting minutes –Executive Session Meeting minutes of June 6, 2012 (Executive and Open Session minutes were held over until September 19th.)
2) Approve Strategic Plan for FY 2013 – FY 2017
3) Approve Annual Goals for FY 2013
4) Approve School Assistants’ Contract for FY 2013
Prior to the vote, there was a discussion on the feasibility study for Sharon High School. Ken Wertz, Director of Maintenance & Operations, will attend a future meeting to discuss the SHS building needs – prior to the first Capital Outlay meeting.
MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Curzan) Moved to approve the Consent Agenda items #1-4 as presented. Yes vote: Cruzan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman (Currul-Dykeman was not present when vote was taken.)
ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES
The Budget Subcommittee met this evening at 6:00 p.m.
Areas of discussion included:
• Establishing a meeting calendar for the year
• MASBO (MA Association of School Business Offices) Report
• Steps to be taken if the Town’s payroll system (Harper’s) cannot provide the necessary financial information for budgetary purposes
School Committee members were asked to submit their budgetary concerns and/or priorities (programs, staffing issues, fees, etc.) by October 10th for further discussion in November and December.
New DESE Educator Evaluation
Mr. Farmer, with the aid of PowerPoint, presented an overview of new DESE regulations regarding educator evaluations. Areas covered in the presentation:
• Five-step evaluation cycle
-analysis, goal setting, educator plan development
-implementation of plan
-formative assessment (mid-year)
-summative evaluation (end-of-year)
• Use of Artifacts for evidence (lesson plans, walkthroughs, observations)
• Differentiated approach
• Use of SMART goals
• Four teacher standards
-exemplary (performance significantly exceeds proficient)
-proficient (expected level of performance)
-needs improvement (demonstrates inconsistencies in a few key areas)
-unsatisfactory (significantly underperforming)
Rubrics5-step evaluation cycle
Artifacts for evaluationDifferentiated Approach
Negotiable (cont.)Not Negotiable (cont.)
Content for student performanceSMART goals
Content for student/staff surveysLevel of performance ratings
Measures for student performance
Following Mr. Farmer’s presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.
There will be a Policy Subcommittee Meeting on September 19th a 6:00 p.m.
There being no further business, L. Salomons asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing collective bargaining and personnel issues.
MOTION: (Currul-Dykeman/Smith-Lee) Moved to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing collective bargaining and personnel issues.Yes vote: Cruzan, Currul-Dykeman, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
Open Session was adjourned at 9:10 p.m.
Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee
Back-up Materials for the September 5, 2012 meeting
• copies of correspondence
ANNOUNCEMENT & UPDATES
• copy of PowerPoint presentation re: DESE Educator Evaluation
• copy of full MASBO report
• copy of 2012-2013 Superintendent’s Checklist