SC Budget Sub Committee Minutes 09/05/2012
SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SHARON, MA 02067
Minutes – September 5, 2012
School Administration Building
Sharon Middle School
75 Mountain Street
Sharon, MA 02067
Present: Timothy Farmer, Glenn Brand, Susan Owen, Jonathan Hitter, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee
The meeting was convened at 6:00 p.m.
Areas of discussion for this meeting:
• MASBO Report (MA Association of School Business Offices)
- recommended financial procedures for the Athletic Department. Procedures will be fully implemented and reviewed at the end of this school year.
•The implementation by the town of a new payroll system (Harpers) and the impact on the school budget re: financial reporting
• Bonded employees – what employees should be bonded - Susan Owen will check with Rich Weiner of The Weiner Company, who are the town’s insurance agent.
• Draft calendar for Capital planning and budget planning
• Time-line for revolving account discussions – conceptual discussion should occur in November/December so that by January, what was voted and discussed would be reflected in the final School Committee budget vote
• Helpful for budget planning if School Committee members are ready for full budget discussion before the Thanksgiving break – October 10th is target date for School Committee to submit their budget questions/concerns (priorities (programs, staffing issues, fees, etc.)
• How the Five-Year Strategic Plan would impact the budget
• Update on the closing of the 2012 budget – provided by Susan Owen (budget has not been closed out yet by the Town – closing in the black)
Next meeting is scheduled for October 10th at 6:00 p.m.
MOTION: (Salomons/Smith-Lee) Motion to adjourn. Yes vote: Hitter, Salomons, Smith Lee
Meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.
Submitted by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee