SC Minutes 12/11/2013
SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
School Committee Meeting
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Sharon Middle School
75 Mountain Street
Sharon, MA 02067
Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee, Veronica Wiseman
Absent: Glenn Brand, Jon Hitter, Marcy Kaplan
Also present: Tim Farmer, Lisa Lamore, Ken Wertz, and representatives from CGKV Architects, Inc.
Open Session was convened at 7:05 p.m.
There were no community members present for participation in Open Forum.
There was no correspondence to come before the Committee at this time.
Student Advisory Committee Representatives
Recent happenings at SHS:
• SHS Drama Department’s Shrek the Musical was a great success
• Progress reports were distributed last week
• Chinese Exchange students have returned to China
• Former Celtics player, Chris Herron, will be at SHS to discuss substance abuse
• Winter Concert will be held on Dec. 17th at 7:00 p.m. in the SHS Auditorium
• SHS chorus will be performing at the State House Community Center on Dec. 16th
• “Mix-It-Up” day will be on Dec. 16th
• Mr. SHS will be selected on Dec. 19th
• Open Mic Night: Dec. 18th in the Library
• Junior Parents’ Night to discuss college application process: Dec. 16th
• Winter sports are underway
• Fall sports award night was held last week
1. Approve meeting minutes – Open & Executive Session (11/20/30)
2. Approve Home Schooling Request
3. Approve SHS Gift ($500 carved eagle)
4. Approve SHS Field Trip to Reston, VA (5/23-25/14 – National Partnership for Academic Tournament)
5. Policies: Note: Policies IGA-Curriculum Development & IGD-Curriculum Adoption that was scheduled for a separate vote will be held over until the Dec. 18th meeting. KCB-Community Involvement in Decision Making & KCD-Public Gifts will be a separate vote on Dec. 18th.
Policies for approval as presented and discussed on November 11, 2013:
JIB-Student Involvement in Decision-Making; JIBA-Student Government; JICC-Student Conduct on School Buses; JICE-Student Publications; JICF-Gang Activity/Secret Societies; JICFA-Prohibition of Hazing; JJG-Contests for Students; JJHA-Co-Curricular Transportation Policy; JJHA-E-1-Transport by Parent or Guardian/JJHA-E-2-Self-Transport by Licensed Student; JKA-Corporal Punishment; KBE-Relationships with Parent Organizations Approve Fees for Transportation, Kindergarten, Early Childhood (no increase)
6. Approve SMS over-night trip to Camp Burgess, Sandwich, MA
7. Approve SHS Field Trip to Rhode Island School of Design (1/7/14)
8. Accept Donation for Sharon Chinese New Year Celebration Scholarship ($500)
E. Smith-Lee asked for a motion to approve consent agenda items 1-9 as presented and discussed on 12/11/13.
MOTION: (Solomons/Wiseman) Moved to approve consent agenda items 1 & 8 as presented on December 11, 2013. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
Heights Existing Conditions Study Presentation
Representatives from CGKV Architects, Inc. presented an overview of the Existing Conditions Study for Heights Elementary School. Physical items reviewed included the following:
Architectural ItemsScheduleProbable Cost
Display Boards0-5 yrs.$120,000
Exterior Walls0-3 yrs.$16,000
Drop Off & Pick-Up (3 Options offered)
Option #10-5 yrs.$150,000
Option #20-5 yrs.$120,000
Option #35-10 yrs.$400,000
Other areas addressed in the presentation included: Structure, mechanical systems, electrical systems, plumbing, fire protection, technology, site and hazardous materials.
Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee, which included what would be reimbursable through the MA School Building Authority. Reconfiguration of the entrance is a top priority.
T. Farmer highlighted the materials presented to the members regarding holidays in school calendars. There are 11 traditional legal holidays (Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Patriots’ Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day). There will be a full discussion on the structure of the 2015-2016 calendar at a meeting in January.
L. Salomons presented the following policies that were discussed and edited at the last policy subcommittee meeting:
GBK-Staff Complaints & Grievancesrevised language for nonaffiliated staff
IHBA-Special Instructional Programs & Accommodationsadd legal references
IHBEB-Sheltered English Immersionrevise to update
IMB-Teaching about Controversial Issues/Controversial Speakers – following discussion, this policy was referred back to policy subcommittee for further discussion/clarification
IMBAA-Teaching about Religionno changes
JB-Equal Educational Opportunitiesrevise to simplify
JCA-Assignment of Students to Schoolrevise to clarify & simplify
JFAAA-New Resident Studentsrevise to be consistent with revised IKE
JFAB-Non-Resident Student PolicyRevise to clarify & give Supt. discretion
JFABA-Student Tuition for Temporary Residentsno change
JFBB-School Choicerevise-take out procedures which are not policies
JI-Student Rights & Responsibilitiesrevise to simplify
JICA-Student Dress Coderevised to clarify
JII-Student Complaints & Grievancesdelete but include relevant sections in JK-Discipline Policy
JK-Student Disciplinerevise to include reference to handbooks and IDEA law & include relevant sections of JII
KA-School/Community Relations Goalsfollowing discussion, delete “strive to”
KBBA-Non-Custodial Parents’ Rightsrevise to simplify
The above policies will be on the December 18th consent agenda.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES
Budget Subcommittee will meet on December 18th at 6:00 p.m.
Priorities Committee will meet on December 16th at 9:00 p.m. at the Town Hall.
Capital Outlay met November 21st. Presentations were made by the Library, Police and Fire. The tour will be in January.
Policies Subcommittee will meet on December 17th at 10:30 a.m.
Superintendent Items that were in the drop-box for Committee review:
• CHARMS Collaborative 2013 Board Update
• Information from the MA School Building Authority re: Statement of Interest information
• Article from the Rennie Center re: Condition of Education in the Commonwealth
• Reminder of the Sharon Education Foundation’s Annual Spelling Bee
There being no further business, E. Smith-Lee asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session for the discussion of potential real estate purchase with the intent not to return to Open Session.
MOTION: (Salomons/Currul-Dykeman) Moved to adjourn Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
Open Session was adjourned at 9:03 p.m.
Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee
Back-up Materials for the December 11, 2013 meeting
• copy of minutes (11/20)
• copy of information re: donation for Chinese New Year Scholarship
• copy of email re: SHS gift (carved eagle)
• name of home schooling request
• copy of SHS field trip requests
• copy of policies GBK-KBBA
• copy of PowerPoint presentation as well as back-up documentation re: School Calendar/Holidays
• copy of PowerPoint presentation re: athletic dept.
• copy of memo re: CHARMS Collaborative December Board Update
• copy of letter from MA School Building Authority re: Statement of Interest information
• copy of article from Rennie Center
• copy of notice re: SEF Annual Spelling Bee
• FYI – student enrollment figures
• FYI – copy of letter from DESE re: Charter Schools
• FYI – copy of Cottage School Council Meeting Minutes
• FYI – copy of Heights School Council Meeting Minutes
• FYI – copy of East School Council Meeting Minutes
• FYI – copy of newsletters for: Community Ed
• FYI – copy of SMS December Wellness Newsletter