File: BDF - ADVISORY COMMITTEES
Advisory committees may be created by the School Committee to provide consultation in a particular area of concern. However, there will be no standing advisory committee(s) to the School Committee.
The composition of an advisory committee will depend on its purpose. Appointments to such committees will be made by the School Committee. The School Committee may also request that the Superintendent appoint one or more staff members.
Tenure of committee members will be for no more than one year unless the member is reappointed.
Each committee will be clearly instructed as to:
- The length of time each member is being asked to serve
- The assignment the School Committee wishes the committee to fulfill and the extent and limitations of its responsibilities
- The resources the School Committee will provide
- The approximate dates on which the School Committee wishes to receive major reports
- School Committee policies governing citizens, committees and the relationship of these committees to the School Committee as a whole, individual School Committee members, the Superintendent, and other members of the professional staff
- Responsibilities for the release of information to the press.
Recommendations of committees will be based upon research and fact.
The School Committee possesses certain legal powers and prerogatives that cannot be delegated or surrendered to others. Therefore, all recommendations of an advisory committee must be submitted to the School Committee.
The first person named to any committee shall be considered the Chairperson thereof, whose duty it shall be to convene the committee, and in case of his/her absence or inability to act, the second named shall replace him/her and perform those duties.
Meetings of advisory committees are subject to Massachusetts Open-Meeting Law.
The School Committee will have the sole power to dissolve any of its advisory committees and will reserve the right to exercise this power at any time during the life of any committee.
Legal Refs.:M.G.L. 30A:18-25, Open Meetings Law
940 CMR 29, Open Meeting Law Regulations
Cross Refs.:JIB, Student Involvement in Decision Making
Revised:May 11, 2011