SC Minutes 02/26/2014
SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
School Committee Meeting
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Sharon Middle School
75 Mountain Street
Sharon, MA 02067
Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Jon Hitter, Marcy Kaplan, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee
Absent: Veronica Wiseman
Also present: Tim Farmer, Glenn Brand, Steven Kaplan, Kevin O’Rourke, Susan Owen, Adam Ellis, students from Sharon Middle School, and members of the community
Open Session was convened at 7:02 p.m.
Correspondence received included:
• Numerous letters in support of the current elementary music program configuration were received from parents and community members.
• A letter from parents of students in the SHS CHARMS Program re: concerns surrounding the timeline of July 1 for the in-house program.
Student Advisory Committee Representative
Recent happenings at SHS:
• Winter sports are winding down
• Unfortunately Mock Trial has been eliminated from competition
• The performance of “Yellow Dress” regarding dating violence was well received at SHS
• SHS seniors voted to adopt a single color for graduation gowns for all graduates
• Student Council’s “Hoops for Hearts” raised $1,000 for the American Heart Association
• SHS students are participating in “Schools on Wheels”, which is a program for high school students to volunteer tutoring services for homeless students
• SHS November Diabetes Walk raised $600
Sharon Middle School Update
Middle School students reported on recent happenings:
• SMS students are participating in Girls Learning International with a school in Afghanistan
• Five SMS students were Scholastic Art winners
• Annie the Musical will be presented March 13-16
• Upstanding Day will be March 6
Consent agenda items:
1-Approve Open Session & Executive Session 2-12-14 minutes
2-Approve Exxon Educational Alliance Program Grant ($500)
3-Approve SHS Program of Studies for 2014-2015
E. Smith-Lee asked for a motion to approve consent agenda items 1, 2 & 3, as presented. A separate vote will be taken on the approval of the FY 2015 Preliminary Budget.
MOTION: (Salomons/Hitter) Moved to approve consent agenda items 1, 2 & 3 as presented on February 12, 2014. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee
Separate vote: Approve FY 2015 Preliminary Budget
E. Smith-Lee asked for a motion to approve the FY 2015 Preliminary Budget.
Prior to a motion, a parent from the audience addressed his concerns regarding the in-house program at SHS for cognitively challenged students.
(Hitter/Salomons) Yes vote: Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee. No vote: Currul-Dykeman. K. Currul-Dykeman stated that her no vote was due to her concerns with class sizes, the change at SHS from CHARMS to an in-house program and the reconfiguration of the elementary music program.
2nd Quarter FY 2014 Budget Report
S. Owen presented an overview of her February 4th FY 2014 Quarter 2 memo. Areas covered in the presentation included:
• School Budget (general fund): salaries; assets; substitute teacher accounts; SPED services-tuitions; utilities
• Capital Outlay Funds – 2009-2014
• Revolving Accounts Budgets
All budgets appear to be in good shape at the close of the second quarter with no areas of concern.
Student Mental Health Data
S. Kaplan, with the aid of PowerPoint, presented a report on the social/emotional status of Sharon students. Over the past three years, there has been an increase of student hospitalizations. Areas covered in the presentation included:
• SMS data (gr, 6, 7, & 8) – for bullying, school refusal, depression/suicidal ideation, 51A, and cutting
SHS data (gr. 9 – 12) – cutting, depression/suicidal ideation, bullying, school refusal, eating disorder, 51A, anxiety, addiction, OCD
• Data for hospitalizations/diagnosis
Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.
International Student Tuition, Policy JFABA
T. Farmer presented an overview of his February 20th memo, which provided background on policies JFABA-Tuition for Non-Resident Students and JFABB-Exchange Students. A request has been received for a Spanish family friend (not affiliated with a recognized student exchange program) to stay with a family in Sharon and attend the Middle School for the 2014-2015 school year. The existing policy allows for tuition to be charged ($14,000, which is the per pupil expenditure). Questions posed to the Committee included:
• Should the S.C. waive partial or complete tuition and what would the impact be?
• Would a precedent be established by reducing or waiving tuition?
• Would the School Choice option have to be reopened/reexamined?
It was noted that the host family would be willing to pay tuition.
If the School Committee leaves the policies as is and makes no changes, administration would follow the current policy and charge tuition.
Community Education Profile within the Sharon Public Schools
T. Farmer, with the aid of PowerPoint, presented an overview of the Community Education Program. This program falls under and operates within the SPS. The Program is self-sustaining and is not part of the School Committee budget. Community Ed. Revolving Accounts include: adult education; field trips (Red Sox, Celtics, BSO, etc.); enrichment (ice skating, tennis & swim lessons, etc.); before & after school care; summer program (pre-school through grade 8 & summer performing arts grades 6-9).
Overlap of SPS Programs and Sharon Recreation Department include:
• arts and culture program
• science & nature
• health & fitness
• summer camp & programs
With the retirement of Mr. Sinrich at the end of this school year, a Search Committee facilitated by Glenn Brand has been formed for a new Director of Community Education. Members, K. Currul-Dykeman and V. Wiseman will be on the Search Committee. The job and requirements have been posted on the School Spring website.
Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES
Administration is scheduled to present the preliminary budget to the Finance Committee on March 3rd.
The next Policy subcommittee meeting is scheduled for March 5th.
SMS late start has been rescheduled for March 26th.
Early release for ECH, elementary and SMS has been rescheduled for March 6th.
Last day of school – June 23rd, half-day.
G. Brand and J. Marcus are coordinating logistics of the PARCC pilot.
Search Committees have been formed for: Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Administration and the Director of Community Education. Committee members K. Currul-Dykeman and V. Wiseman will serve on the Com. Ed. Committee and L. Salomons will serve on the Assist. Supt. Committee.
Grants from Technology have been awarded to teachers, J. O’Brien, L. Scarborough, J. Dixon, K. Kallin and J. Spence for a one-to-one pilot technology program.
The YMCA’s Impact Report featured the Sharon Public Schools’ collaborative relationship with the Y. The Y’s Executive Director will attend the April 9th S.C. meeting and an administration meeting in May.
The DESE Coordinated Program Review for ELE had 4 minor findings. Administration is responding.
There being no further business, E. Smith-Lee asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session to discuss legal issues with the intent not to return to Open Session.
MOTION: (Salomons/Kaplan) Moved to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session to discuss legal issues with the intent not to return to Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee
Open Session was adjourned at 9:40 p.m.
Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee
Back-up Materials for the February 26, 2014 meeting
• copies of correspondence
• copy of 2/12/14 minutes
• copy of FY 2015 Preliminary Budget
• copy of field trip request
• copy of SHS 2014-2015 Program of Studies
• copy of PowerPoint re: Community Education
• copy of PowerPoint re: Social/Emotional Status of SPS Students
• copy of Memo re: FY 2014 Quarter 2 Report (with back-up materials)
• copy of Memo re: Policies for Tuition for Non-Resident Students & Exchange Students
• copy of DESE correspondence re: Report of Comments from Coordinated Program Review –ELE
• copy of flyer re: SPS Prevention & Community Resource Guide
• copy of East Council Meeting Minutes