File: BDB - SCHOOL COMMITTEE OFFICER RESPONSIBILITIES
SCHOOL COMMITTEE OFFICER RESPONSIBILITIES
The Chair shall have all other rights of members to participate in the proceedings of the Committee, shall preside at School Committee meetings, and shall perform all duties imposed by law or by policy of the School Committee, including but not limited to:
- Working with the Superintendent to set the agenda
- Deciding questions of order at School Committee meetings, except as noted in this policy section
- Appointing or providing for the election of all subcommittees and representatives of the School Committee.
- Signing official documents which require the signature of the Chair.
The Vice-Chair shall, in the absence or disability of the Chair, act for him/her and perform all his/her duties as described above. The Vice-Chair may rule the Chair out of order, but such ruling may be appealed by the Chair.
The Secretary shall be responsible for:
- Reading all correspondence sent to the School Committee
- Working with the Recording Secretary to ensure accurate and complete open-session and executive-session meeting minutes, including the recording of the minutes of executive session meetings when the Recording Secretary is excused
- Reviewing past executive session meeting minutes and working with the Superintendent and School counsel to prepare executive session meeting minutes for a review and vote by the School Committee as to what can be released to the public.
- Assuming duties of the Chair in the absence or disability of the Chair and Vice-Chair.
Legal Ref.:M.G.L. 71:36, Secretary; Appointments; Duties
Revised:April 13, 2011