SC Minutes 07/29/2015
SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
School Committee Meeting
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
Sharon Middle School
75 Mountain Street
Sharon, MA 02067
Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Marcy Kaplan, Laura Salomon, Emily Smith-Lee, Veronica Wiseman
Absent: Jon Hitter
Also present: Tim Farmer, Jahmal Mosley
V. Wiseman called the meeting to order at 12:06 p.m. and asked for a motion to enter into Executive Session for purpose of discussions of contract negotiations with unionized personnel.
MOTION: (Salomons/Kaplan) Moved to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of discussions of contract negotiations with unionized personnel with the intent to return to Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
Open Session was convened at 12:57 p.m.
One letter was received from a resident re: what sealants are used on school property. Rory Marty, Director of Maintenance & Operations will respond to the inquiry.
There were no community members present for participation in Open Forum to the School Committee.
1)Approve Donation of Sailboats (approx. $1,000 per boat)
MOTION: (Salomons/Smith-Lee) Moved to approve the sailboat donation as presented. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
PARCC Resolution Statement
There was a discussion on the draft resolution presented by Marcy Kaplan. L. Salomons stated that she would not support the resolution. Two additional paragraphs were added to the original draft, which reflected the School Committee discussion of the June 17th meeting. Sharon Public Schools would like flexibility with the teacher education evaluation as it relates to student assessment scores and teacher evaluation ratings.
MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Kaplan) Moved to approve the edited resolution statement per this evening’s discussion. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Kaplan, Smith-Lee, Wiseman. No vote: L. Salomons
T. Farmer presented a comprehensive update of the Strategic Plan, which provided detail on the outcomes of the four goals:
1) To meet the learning needs of all students;
• Differentiated instruction has been implemented
• RTI strategies have been incorporated
• There has been improved planning for student transition between buildings/grades
• SPS has developed strategy for implementing the STEM initiative
2) To develop respectful partnerships;
• Created improved knowledge & understanding of goals
3) To establish a physically and emotionally safe environment;
• Developing a sequential social competency curriculum
• Guidelines are available to ensure quality & quantity of homework
• Future facility needs for SHS are assessed & prioritized
4) To provide relevant experiences and opportunities that integrate global and social competency with the existing curriculum.
• Practices in place to advance students’ critical thinking & problem solving
• Provide opportunities for students to experience real-world concepts in course materials
Sixty percent of the goals have been accomplished. The complete Strategic Plan presentation is on the school department’s website. Following the presentation, there was a lengthy discussion on the update.
School Committee Goals
Discussion on School Committee goals will be an agenda item for the September 2nd meeting.
Building Projects – Heights & Sharon High School
T. Farmer opened the discussion by stating that the School Committee needs to have a conversation on the Heights Elementary School roof and Sharon High School issues. School Committee needs to prioritize. T. Farmer presented an overview of the MSBA process and timeline as well as what upgrades the Capital Outlay Committee could consider funding. It was noted MSBA reimbursement should not drive the School Committee decisions. The feasibility studies on both buildings are on the School Department’s website.
There was a lengthy discussion on various options (short and long term). There is a joint meeting with the Board of Selectmen, Finance Committee and School Committee scheduled for September 9th.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES
None at this time.
There being no other business, V. Wiseman asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session.
MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Kaplan) Moved to adjourn Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
Open Session was adjourned at 3:10 p.m.
Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee
Back-up Materials for the July 29, 2015 meeting
• copies of correspondence
• copies of consent agenda materials
• power-point on task force initial timeline
• power-point on moving forward Heights & SHS
• copy of Strategic Plan update
• copy of School Committee evaluation form