SC Minutes 09/16/2015
SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
School Committee Meeting
Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Sharon Middle School
75 Mountain Street
Sharon, MA 02067
Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Marcy Kaplan, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee
Absent: Jon Hitter, Veronica Wiseman
Also present: Tim Farmer, Jahmal Mosley, John Marcus, Rory Marty
Open Session was convened at 7:05 p.m.
A letter from a parent was received that inquired as to how the of the 1:1 technology initiative for gr. 8 students would be assessed. Administration responded to the inquiry. T. Farmer explained that on the school department’s website there is information on the 1:1 initiative.
SHS Student Representatives
Recent happenings at SHS:
• preparations are underway for participation in Sharon’s 250 year celebration.
• the new configuration for the library was completed over the summer and is being enjoyed by students and faculty
• fall sports are underway
• homecoming festivities are scheduled for this weekend
• students are curious for the administration’s plans for the vacant lot next to SHS.
T. Farmer stated that the parcel still belongs to the Town of Sharon and parking could be an option until decisions have been made for renovating SHS.
1. Approve Open & Executive Session Minutes (July 29, 2015)
2. Approve Middle School Cross Country Program/Fees
3. Approve Three-Year Contract for Instructional Assistants
MOTION: (Salomons/Kaplan) Moved to approve the consent agenda items #1-3 as presented. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee
School Committee Goals Revisited
Goals were fully discussed and vetted at the September 2nd meeting. Areas of discussion at this evening’s meeting included:
• timeline for Operational Budget
• procedure for filing documents with MSBA (MA School Building Authority). There was a lengthy discussion on pros/cons of renovation vs. new building, particularly for SHS.
• Agreed upon collective bargaining agreement with the STA by June 30, 2016
• Superintendent’s evaluation
Heights & SHS Building Projects
There was a discussion on the need for replacing Heights Elementary School’s roof and how to fund the project – through Capital Outlay requests or through MSBA. T. Farmer stated that further discussion needs to take place on how to finance the roof replacement. Options included: 1) complete an SOI and submit to the MSBA; 2) finance roof without submitting documents to MSBA. T. Farmer recommended that an SOI should be submitted. If MSBA does not fund the project, the only other alternative would be to request funding through Capital Outlay. If an SOI is submitted for Heights as well as Sharon High School, the School Committee will have to indicate which project is the priority.
Capital Outlay First Draft
J. Marcus, Director of Technology, presented the technology capital outlay requests, which included expansion of the 1:1 initiative, additional I-pads, projectors, phone network capacity upgrades.
R. Marty, Director of Maintenance & Operations presented the facilities capital outlay requests, which include classroom acoustics upgrades, HVAC replacement at East and the addition of 3 SPED vans and one facilities van.
The need for irrigation of the SMS track and field area was discussed. It would be necessary for a landscape architect to propose a plan moving forward. A vote on the final CO requests will be taken in October for presentation to the CO Committee in November.
Special Needs Assurance Documents
T. Farmer reviewed the Special Education Program Plan Statement that was in the drop-box. Signatures of the Chair, Superintendent and the Director of Student Services are required. Approval of the document will be on the September 30th consent agenda.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES
Tri-Board Meeting Follow-Up
Discussion of the Tri-Board Meeting with the Town Administrator, Board of Selectmen, Finance Committee and School Committee will be a September 30th agenda item.
Workplace Safety Committee Update
J. Mosley and M. Kaplan briefed the Committee on the first Workplace Safety Committee meeting. Parameters and protocol for future meetings were discussed. It would be helpful to have more elementary representation on the committee. It was noted that discussion of policies and procedures would not fall within the authority of this committee.
• Sharon’s 250th anniversary update
• Committees and Task Forces
• Coming soon: Mid-Cycle Review for SPED; ELL Coordinated Program Review
• China Exchange Program – students arrive Oct. 1st; welcome reception on Oct. 6th.
• Jane Levine was named as the Lee Flaxer Award Winner
• Dr. Libano will present “Golden Oldies” diplomas to graduates of more than 59 years
There being no other business, E. Smith-Lee asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session.
MOTION: (Currul-Dykeman/Salomons) Moved to adjourn Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee
Meeting was adjourned at 8:58 p.m.
Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee
Back-up Materials for the September 16, 2015 meeting
• copies of correspondence
• copies of consent agenda materials
• S.C. goals documents
• power-point on moving forward Heights & SHS
• Capital Outlay documents
• copy of SPED Assurance Documentation