• SC Minutes 01/06/2016


    OPEN SESSION

    SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS

    School Committee Meeting

    Wednesday, January 6, 2016

    Sharon Middle School

    75 Mountain Street

    Sharon, MA 02067

    Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Jon Hitter, Marcy Kaplan, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee, Veronica Wiseman

    Also present: Tim Farmer, Jahmal Mosley, Susan Owen, John Marcus, Jose Libano, Kevin O’Rourke, Lisa Lamore, Elizabeth Murphy, Kevin Madden, Susan Fisichella and members of the community

    Open Session was convened at 7:03 p.m.

    PUBLIC FEEDBACK

    Open Forum

    There were no community members present for participation in Open Forum.

    Correspondence

    The following correspondence was received:

    • Two letters from parents re: limited amount of lunchtime for elementary students

    • Letter from community member/parent re: proposed fee for extra curricular activities

    • Letter from SSEPAC re: RTI practices

    • Letter from SSEPAC parent re: RTI practices (Parent who wrote the letter asked School Committee to review all the data that was sent to them regarding RTI; requesting guidelines for the use of RTI in the SPS. Information will be discussed at the RtI Committee level and may come back to the S.C. as additional information.

    SHS Student Representatives

    Recent happenings at SHS:

    • Mid-year exams: January 22-26

    • Winter Sports are off to a successful season

    • Student directed plays will be performing this weekend

    • Eagle news is now being broadcast on You-Tube

    DECISION ITEMS

    Consent Agenda:

    1. Approve Open Session Minutes (12/16/15)

    2. Approve Physical Restraint Policy (JKAA & JKAAE-1)

    Prior to the vote, M. Kaplan informed the members that the Policy Subcommittee met this evening and discussed the feedback received regarding the restraint policy. The language in the policy presented this evening has addressed the feedback questions.

    MOTION: (Salomon/Smith-Lee) Moved to approve consent agenda items #1 & 2 as presented. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    DISCUSSION ITEMS

    I-Ready Update – Dr. Mosley

    Dr. Mosley, with the aid of PowerPoint, presented an update on the use of i-Ready, a screening assessment tool used in the SPS. Topics covered in the presentation included:

    • how i-Ready is used – to diagnose functional reading and mathematic skills

    • i-Ready instructional components – on-line lessons aligned to students’ diagnostic scores/outcomes

    • i-Ready benefits – provides information on student progress; pinpoints mastered skills in selected categories; develop academic interventions; results help predict student performance on state-mandated testing

    • the use of i-Ready in the SPS – SHS, used for SPED skill building; SMS – uses reading assessment, math data shared by grade level; elementary – results are shared in data team/grade level meetings, use for DDMs to measure student growth, parents use the instructional components for support

    • challenges for administration – time consuming (60 min.); learning how to analyze data

    • next steps – establish evaluation cycle for universal screening; designate 1-2 PD training days; continue using i-Ready student data

    Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.

    1:1 Program Update – John Marcus

    J. Marcus, with the aid of PowerPoint, presented an update on the 1:1 implementation.

    Timeline

    August/September: device set up; small group meetings covering RUA, insurance, etc.; meetings & workshops to review procedures, pedagogy, etc.; students begin new methodology

    Fall: shifts in pedagogy begin; increase effort on PD and more workshops; procedure questions solved; improve access outside classroom/school

    Late Fall: increased sharing with colleagues; first assessment

    December: team meetings; modify current plans; PD; increased Internet capacity; reinforce rules with students

    January: finalized plans presented to S.C. in February; survey gr. 7 & 8 parents re: purchase; revise RUA for gr. 8 & 9; continue PD

    Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.

    FY 2017 Preliminary Budget

    T. Farmer and S. Owen reviewed a spreadsheet, which outlines the FY 2017 budget planning process. Items of note included in the presentation/spreadsheet:

    • Roll over cost - $1,149,853.15

    • Staffing needs to maintain class size – 2 elementary sections; reduction of gr. 6 section (enrollment); addition of .40 SMS foreign language; .20 SMS specialist

    • Required staffing – add .60 Elementary ELL teacher

    • Moving district forward – add gr. 2 foreign language; in-house add 4 language based teachers; add 1 tech support staff

    • Reductions/changes to meet Priorities - 1.0 ASD consultative services in-district rather than contract with NECC; 1.0 SHS secretary; reduction in out-of-district LEAP; academic support program; increase fees; expand Community Ed. Program financial contributions for building use.

    Total FY 2017 budget – (3.49% increase) $40,001,468 – Overall increase - $1,394,408.83

    Budget Related Presentations

    Office of Student Services – Susan Fisichella

    S. Fisichella presented a programmatic overview and budget request.

    • parent/community outreach – parent meetings, open-door policy, ASD Program meetings

    • survey was sent to parents re: team meeting experiences

    • need for language-based intervention

    • needs assessment for ASD students – necessary to maintain continuous support PreK-post secondary

    • needs assessment for students with specific learning disability

    • recommending LEAP (language-based extension for academic practice). Program will target gr. 2-5. Focus will be on early literacy, phonology, comprehension and written language using highly specialized instructional tools. Implementation of LEAP would require 4 additional teachers.

    Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.

    FLES update – Dr. Mosley

    • Informational PTO sessions were held in Sept., Oct. & Nov.

    • Full FLES presentation is scheduled for the Jan. 20th S.C. mtg.

    • Time-line rollout: 2015-2016 FLES gr. 1 & FLEX gr. 5; 2016-2017 FLES gr. 1 & 2, FLEX gr. 5; 2017-2018 FLES gr. 1, 2, 3, FLEX gr. 5; 2018-2019 – FLES gr. 1, 2, 3, 4, FLEX gr. 5

    Administration is seeking S.C. support/vote in the growth of the elementary foreign language program.

    Multi-Age Classroom – Kevin Madden

    Cottage Street School Principal, K. Madden presented the need for an additional multi-age classroom for the 2016-2017 school year.

    • Currently, there is one class with 11 gr. 2 and 11 gr. 3 students.

    • Three to four “opt out” parent letters are received each year.

    • Two multi-age teachers could co-teach math, which allows math specialists to service students throughout the building.

    • Two multi-age classes would allow gr. 2 students to join foreign language instruction – classroom teacher would work with gr. 3 students.

    • Two multi-age classes would allow common lesson plan time.

    • Two multi-age classes would allow effective RtI blocks

    • An additional multi-age class would reduce the amount of students in traditional gr. 2 & 3 classrooms.

    Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.

    Gr. 6 Academic Reorganization – Kevin O’Rourke

    SMS Principal, K. O’Rourke presented the proposed academic reorganization.

    • Change would move world language out of “specials”and into academic block.

    • General gr. 6 certification would work with this model.

    • Gr. 6 teachers would have 5 sections vs. 4.

    • Coordinators have responded positively to the proposed change.

    • Change would result in smaller class sizes and allows for flexibility for IEP & ELL services.

    • A review of specialist offerings for student needs will be conducted.

    Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.

    Extra-Curricular and Sports Fees

    Due to the lateness of the hour, this agenda item will be held over for the January 20th meeting.

    Kindergarten Fees

    Due to the lateness of the hour, this agenda item will be held over for the January 20th meeting.

    ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES

    • Capital Outlay tour – Saturday, January 9th at 8:45 a.m.

    • Policy subcommittee met this evening at 6:00 p.m. Polices were reviewed and additional policies will be submitted to the S.C. at a subsequent meeting.

    SUPERINTENDENT’S ITEMS

    • MSBA deadline for submitting a SOI (Statement of Interest) is February. R. Marty will submit a SOI for the Heights roof. A SOI for the High School project will be filed in April

    • S.C. input for the Annual Town Report is due by January 8th. T. Farmer will write and submit the report to the Town.

    • Recycling project through a recently received grant is showing positive results.

    • Deadline for submitting Town Meeting warrant articles is January 15th. SPS will submit a placeholder for a Heights roof warrant article.

    • Our .5 data analyst has resigned effective January 22nd.

    Other Business

    There being no other business, V. Wiseman asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session.

    MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Salomons) Moved to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session for the purposes of discussing negotiations with unionized personnel and preparation for negotiations with unionized personnel with the intent not to return to Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    Meeting was adjourned at 10:30 p.m.

    Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee

    Back-up Materials for the January 6, 2016 meeting

    • copy of correspondence

    • copies of consent agenda materials

    • budget back-up materials

    • copy of PP presentation (i-Ready, LEAP, 1:1, FLES, multi-age classroom, gr. 6 reorganization)

    • copy of materials re: extracurricular and sports fees, K

    • enrollment projections

    • LEAP information

    • copy of Every Student Succeeds Act

    • copy of executive session materials