SC Minutes 03/09/2016
SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
School Committee Meeting
Wednesday, March 9, 2016
Sharon Middle School
75 Mountain Street
Sharon, MA 02067
Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Jon Hitter, Marcy Kaplan, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee, Veronica Wiseman
Also present: Tim Farmer, Jahmal Mosley, Rory Marty, Bill Heitin, and two members of the Sharon Fields’ Committee
Open Session was convened at 7:03 p.m.
V. Wiseman asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session for the purpose of hearing a Level 3 grievance from the Sharon Teachers’ Association, as well as negotiations with unionized and non-unionized personnel with the intentions to return to Open Session.
MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Salomons) Moved to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session for the purpose of hearing a Level 3 grievance from the Sharon Teachers’ Association, as well as negotiations with unionized and non-unionized personnel with the intentions to return to Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
Open Session was reconvened at 8:00 p.m.
The following correspondence was received:
• Letter from a parent re: excellent elementary astronomy resources
• Letter from community member: re: preparing budgets when considering new housing developments, which results in influx of new students
• Letter from a former School Committee member requesting the honor of presenting his graduating SHS daughter with her diploma
• Six additional letters re: FLES
SHS Student Representatives
Recent happenings at SHS:
• Gong Show – March 31st
• Spring sport sign-ups are underway
• Winter sports have completed their seasons
• Mock Primary Election was held on Super Tuesday – results can be found on SHS website
• SATs were administered this past weekend
• SHS students attended an assembly on variety of different topics including ALICE training
• An AP information session was held this week for students who are considering enrolling in AP courses
• SHS Drama company presented their play, April Fish, this past weekend. Unfortunately, they were not selected to move on to semi-finals
• Foreign Language National Honor Society induction – March 14th
• Hoops for Hearts fund raising competition all this week
• Follow SHS on Twitter, Facebook and You-Tube
There were no community members present for participation in Open Forum.
1. Approve Open and Executive Session Minutes (2/24/16)
2. Approve Middle School Track & Field and Capital Outlay Reconsideration
3. Approve Home Schooling Request
4. Approve the Following Field Trips
• 6-week Exchange to China (March 26-May 8, 2017)
• Chinese Exchange Trip to NYC (October 8 & 9, 2016)
• SHS Trip to England (April 13-21, 2017)
• Ultimate Tournament to Amherst, MA (May 7 & 8, 2016)
• SHS Trip to France (April 13-21, 2016)
• Approve $1,000 Donation to SHS
MOTION: (Salomons/Smith-Lee) Moved to approve consent agenda items #1-4 as presented. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
Student Activity Audit and Response
T. Farmer presented an overview on the audit of the SPS Student Activity Funds. Administration will adhere to the new regulations from the DESE – particularly in the process for collecting money. Sharon Public Schools is approximately 90% in compliance.
Middle School Track/Field Update from Sharon’s Field Committee
Selectman Bill Heitin presented an overview of the proposed upgrades to the Middle School fields. The DPW and school administration will be actively involved.
T. Farmer thanked Mr. Heitin and members of the fields committee for all of their efforts. The School Committee would need to vote on the proposed field upgrades at their March 23rd meeting. If the capital outlay request remains the same, different language must be provided for the Town Warrant.
Superintendent Evaluation Document, Standard 3, Family & Community Engagement and Standard 4, Professional Culture
Areas covered in the discussion:
• School Committee must consider artifacts in order to begin the evaluation process.
• School Committee must clarify what they want the Superintendent to include (2-3 artifacts for selected indicators). T. Farmer will provide evidence of growth.
• Would like the Superintendent to provide directives given to building principals and how issues have been resolved. T. Farmer sent a survey to administration team. He will share the results as part of his evidence.
• If a S.C. member has a concern; it should be specific and not overarching concerns.
• Concerns should not be heard at the table but should be first shared with the Superintendent in a timely manner.
• Privacy rights must be considered.
• If School Committee gets too specific, conversation must take place in open session.
• Categories are not workable.
• There was a discussion on tweaking some words for clarity – i.e. change “insure” to encourage, and the use of “proficient plus” in the evaluation.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES
Subcommittee Updates: Budget, Capital, Policy
Policy meeting – March 9th – Policies D, IJOA, field trips, and collection of money were reviewed and discussed.
Next Capital Outlay meeting - March 14th. T. Farmer, J. Marcus and R. Marty will attend the meeting to answer any questions. R. Marty has recommended repurposing the money for the Capital request for the SMS track.
Priorities Committee has not confirmed a date for their next meeting.
T. Farmer updated the Committee on the following:
• Kindergarten enrollments to date
• SHS Presedntial Scholar Candidates: Weida Ma, Rebecca Reef, Bryan Xian, Lawrence Zmoira
• Capital Outlay Meeting: March 14, 2016 – Mr. Farmer, Dr. Marcus and Mr. Marty will attend to answer questions for
the committee. School Committee will be asked to revote the dollar amount for the Heights roof from $243,950 to $89,000 at the March 23rd meeting (contingent upon acceptance by the MSBA). Reduction of the 1:1 technology request was discussed (pros/cons of leasing vs. buying laptops).
• Preliminary Budget presentation to Finance Committee at their March 7, 2016
There being no other business, V. Wiseman asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session.
MOTION: (Salomons/Smith-Lee) Moved to adjourn Open Session.
Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman
Meeting was adjourned at 9:47 p.m.
Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee
Back-up Materials for the March 9, 2016 meeting
• copy of correspondence
• copies of consent agenda materials
• budget spreadsheet
• copy of executive session materials