• SC Minutes 04/27/2016


    OPEN SESSION

    SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS

    School Committee Meeting

    Wednesday, April 27, 2016

    Sharon Middle School

    75 Mountain Street

    Sharon, MA 02067

    Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Jon Hitter, Marcy Kaplan, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee, Veronica Wiseman

    Also present: Tim Farmer, Jahmal Mosley, Kristina Dahlen, Planning Board representative, Pasquale Pannone and a member of the community.

    Open Session was convened at 7:05 p.m.

    PUBLIC FEEDBACK

    Correspondence

    The following correspondence was received:

    • Letter from a resident re: requesting clarification on the reduction of the choral teacher for the 2016-2017 school year from to .5 from .75. Dr. Libano will attend the May 11th meeting to answer any questions regarding the course selection process.

    Mr. Farmer explained that students have completed their elective course selections for the 2016-2017 school year. Only 7 students chose to take chorus as an elective. Due to low enrollment for chorus, it is necessary to decrease the chorus position to a .75 position. There was a brief discussion on how to encourage students to continue music participation throughout their educational career.

    • Letter from the Town’s Assistant Recreation Director informing the school department that there is an opening for a waterfront director

    • Letter from a resident re: options/problems moving forward with high school renovations. Administration has responded to the inquiries.

    • Letter from a new family in Sharon re: why there are no parent/teacher conferences at the middle and high school levels.

    • Letter from a parent re: amount of recess time for elementary students. (Parent also attached information from different sources on the subject.)

    • Letter from a resident re: the procedure followed and lack of perceived transparency in the transition of the Director of Technology to the position of Assistant Superintendent.

    E. Smith-Lee suggested that the School Committee vote at their May 11th meeting to release the Executive Session minutes in which discussion took place regarding the position.

    SHS Student Representatives

    There were no SHS student representatives present at this evening’s meeting.

    DECISION ITEMS

    Consent Agenda:

    1. Approve Open and Executive Session Minutes (April 6, 2016)

    2. Approve FY 2015 End-of-Year Financial Report Audit

    3. Approve SHS PTSO Donation ($1,760)

    MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Salomons) Moved to approve consent agenda items #1-3 as presented: Yes vote: Currul-Dykekman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    Town of Sharon Planning Board – Master Plan Overview

    Prior to continuing with the consent agenda separate votes, Mr. Pannone, Planning Board representative, outlined the time-line and process for creating a Town Master Plan. A Master Plan meeting is scheduled for April 28th, 7:30 p.m. at the Community Center. Input from School Committee members, administration and community members would be helpful in moving forward.

    Separate votes:

    4. Approve Elementary Enrollment Advisory Committee

    T. Farmer presented a brief overview of the PowerPoint presentation regarding establishing an elementary enrollment advisory committee that was fully discussed at the April 6th meeting. The composition of the committee would include: 2 administrators, 2 elementary principals, 1 school committee member, 6 elementary teachers (2 from each school), and a community member. Prior to the vote, there was a lengthy discussion on what the scope of responsibilities of the enrollment committee. Areas covered in the discussion included:

    • what options to be considered by the committee – including the possibility of redistricting – all options must be discussed/vetted

    • the committee would examine enrollment problems, assess, and report their findings to the School Committee

    • transparency is important

    • language agreed upon by the committee for outlining the committee’s responsibilities should include, “which may addressing identified concerns including potential redistricting and other options. The advisory committee will report back to the School Committee on a quarterly basis.”

    MOTION: (Salomons/Hitter) Moved to approve the establishment of an Elementary Enrollment Advisory Committee consisting of the above listed composition and which includes the amended language as discussed at this evening’s meeting.

    Yes vote: Currul-Dykekman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    5. Approve School Assistants’ Contract 2016-2019

    T. Farmer presented an overview of the proposed contract at the April 6th meeting. There being no further discussion on the three-year contract (2016-2019), V. Wiseman asked for a motion.

    MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Salomons) Moved to approve the three-year contract for the School Assistants as presented. Yes vote: Currul-Dykekman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    6. Approve the Elementary Foreign Language Program (FLES) under Policy IGA

    Prior to the vote, members explained their reasoning for their vote. There was a discussion on the intent of Policy IGA. Areas covered in the discussion:

    • the Policy should be vetted again by the policy subcommittee to insure that the Policy is being interpreted correctly

    • IGA interpretation should be the same for the FLES, LEAP and all programs

    • criteria for voting on curriculum through IGA should be consistent

    • School Committee members want to provide input whether to approve new curriculum

    • some members feel that the power of the School Committee has been lessened

    • IGA Policy vote should be yearly

    • policy subcommittee will further discuss Policy IGA

    • possibly survey other communities on how curriculum is incorporated

    • MASC could possibly provide guidance

    • curriculum decisions should be based on fact, community feedback and not personal opinion

    • curriculum approval should benefit all students – regular education and special education

    MOTION: (Salomons/Hitter) Moved to approve the Elementary Foreign Language Program (FLES) under policy IGA. Yes vote: Hitter, Salomons, Wiseman. No vote: Currul-Dykeman, Kaplan, Smith-Lee

    7. Approve the Special Needs Elementary Language-Based Program (LEAP) under Policy IGA

    Discussion on the FLES and LEAP programs occurred at the same time. Highlights of conversation are listed above.

    MOTION: (Kaplan/Smith-Lee) Moved to approve the special education program LEAP under policy IGA. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Kaplan, Smith-Lee. No vote: Hitter, Salomons, Wiseman

    DISCUSSION ITEMS

    Strategic Plan Timeline

    T. Farmer presented a proposed time line and process for the new Strategic Plan.

    Fall of 2016:

    • engage staff

    • 2016 School Committee have strategic plan discussion as agenda item

    • invite a keynote speaker

    • establish a link to district website

    2017:

    • establish online communication

    • establish working group; encourage involvement of the school councils

    • working group shares draft plan with the School Committee

    • working group finalizes plan for final review by administrative team

    T. Farmer recommended that the next strategic plan be 2-3 years rather than our current 5 year plan. The goals should be fewer, tiered, connected and have a shorter timeframe. Further discussion on the strategic plan could be a discussion item for a summer School Committee meeting.

    FY 2018 School Calendar

    T. Farmer provided 5 versions of the 2017-2018 school calendars for School Committee consideration. Following a discussion it was the consensus of the committee to consider proposal B, which has a start date of 8/30, February & April vacations with a last day of school on June 15th (if there are no snow days) and June 22nd (if school is closed for inclement weather); and proposal E, which has the first day of school on 9/5, a four day weekend in February (2/16-2-19), April vacation, with a last day of school on June 15th (if there are no snow days) and June 22nd (if school is closed for inclement weather). Approval of the two proposals will be on the May 11, 2016 consent agenda. T. Farmer will forward the calendar proposals to the Sharon Teachers Association following the school committee vote on May 11th.

    Superintendent Evaluation

    V. Wiseman outlined the procedure for T. Farmer’s evaluation by the members. Goals would be rated first followed by Standards. Committee members were asked to send any additional thoughts in writing to V. Wiseman before the May 11th meeting. Plus ratings are allowed.

    Goal 1 – Professional Practice

    Met: L. Salomons, J. Hitter, K. Currul-Dykeman, M. Kaplan, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    Members would like to see:

    • more being done at the SMS regarding reorganization and specialists

    • RTI consistent district-wide, movement with data analyst

    Goal 2 – Student Learning

    Met or Exceeded: J. Hitter, M. Kaplan, E. Smith-Lee, V. Wiseman

    Met: L. Salomons, K. Currul-Dykeman

    Goal 3 – District Improvement (Change)

    Met+: L. Salomons, M. Kaplan, V. Wiseman

    Met: J. Hitter, E. Smith-Lee, K. Currul-Dykeman

    Goal 4 – Strategic Plan

    Met+: L. Salomons, J. Hitter

    Exceeded: M. Kaplan, E. Smith-Lee, K. Currul-Dykeman , V. Wiseman

    Standard 1 – Instructional Leadership

    Proficient: L. Salomons

    Proficient+: M. Kaplan

    Exemplary: K. Currul-Dykeman, E. Smith-Lee, J. Hitter, V. Wiseman

    Standard 2 – Management & Operations

    Exemplary: M. Kaplan, V. Wiseman

    Proficient+: L. Salomons, J. Hitter, E. Smith-Lee, K. Currul-Dykeman

    Standard 3 – Family & Community Engagement

    Proficient+: L. Salomons, J. Hitter, K. Currul-Dykeman, M. Kaplan, E. Smith-Lee, V. Wiseman

    Standard 4 - Professional Culture

    Proficient+: L. Salomons, J. Hitter, K. Currul-Dykeman, M. Kaplan, E. Smith-Lee, V. Wiseman

    V. Wiseman will provide the evaluation summative document at the May 11th meeting.

    ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES

    STEM Talks

    Guest speaker, Caitlin Krause will be at the SHS Library at 7:00 p.m. on May 5th.

    SUPERINTENDENT’S ITEMS

    T. Farmer briefly updated the Committee on:

    • Getting the Work Done: labor-management workshop attended by T. Farmer and STA representatives

    • PARCC testing begins 4/27/16

    • Student Services Mid-Cycle Progress Report will be an agenda item for May 11th

    • CHARMS collaborative is exploring options including possible dissolution of the collaborative.

    • J. Marcus and R. Marty are meeting with the Finance Committee this evening

    • T. Farmer attended the pre-town meeting on 4/25

    • Parent Leadership have offered to disseminate information at Town Meeting regarding the School Department’s requests

    • MSBA visited Heights Elementary re: SOI for new roof

    • T. Farmer will meet with the Interfaith Clergy Association at Temple Koi Tikvah on 5/11 at 11:00 a.m.

    • T. Farmer will meet with the Council on Aging on 5/17

    • T. Farmer will attend the Annual Hockomock YMCA Annual Meeting on 5/18

    • Work on the SHS audio upgrade was completed over April vacation

    Other Business

    Board of Selectmen had questions regarding naming the SMS field. According to School Committee Policy, requests and questions must first be sent to the School Council.

    MOTION: (Salomons/Smith-Lee) Moved to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session with the intent not to return to Open Session for the purpose of negotiations with non-unionized personnel and legal issues.

    Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    Meeting was adjourned at 10:32 p.m.

    Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee

    Back-up Materials for the April 27, 2016 meeting

    • copy of correspondence

    • copies of consent agenda materials

    • copy of Elementary Student Enrollment PowerPoint

    • copy of 2016-2017 school calendar options

    • copy of strategic plan timeline

    • copy of all Superintendent Evaluation materials

    • copy of executive session materials