• SC Minutes 07/27/2016


    OPEN SESSION

    SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS

    School Committee Meeting

    Wednesday, July 27, 2016

    Sharon Middle School

    75 Mountain Street

    Sharon, MA 02067

    Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Jon Hitter, Marcy Kaplan, Laura Salomon, Emily Smith-Lee, Veronica Wiseman

    Also present: Tim Farmer, Jahmal Mosley

    Open Session was convened at 9:05 a.m.

    PUBLIC FEEDBACK

    Correspondence

    One letter was received from a parent re: support services for struggling students at SHS. Administration reached out to the parent.

    Open Forum

    There were no community members present for participation in Open Forum.

    DECISION ITEMS

    Consent Agenda:

    1. Approve Homeschooling Requests

    2. Approve Executive and Open Session minutes from June 18, 2016

    3. Approve Required Sub-Committee Assignments

    Hold for discussion and subsequent vote:

    4. Approve Policy JICH (Substance Abuse); Policy IHAMA (Teaching About Drugs, Alcohol and Tobacco); Policy JLCD (Administering Medicines to Students)

    MOTION: (Salomons/Hitter) Moved to approve consent agenda items 1-3 as presented. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    DISCUSSION ITEMS

    Composition and Number of School Committee Members

    V. Wiseman asked for input from the members on the feasibility of changing the School Committee membership from an even to odd number. The Board of Selectmen and Town Meeting must approve a change in committee structure. MASC and DESE recommends an odd number for committees. Having an odd number could improve the voting process by eliminating 3:3 votes. There will be further discussion on this topic at a future meeting. Prior to further discussion, V. Wiseman will contact Marlene Chused, Town Clerk, for timeline and process for initiating the change in committee composition. There is a tentative date of November 28th for Town Meeting. September 21st is the deadline for article submissions. This timeline would be too short for engaging further discussion. A spring Town Meeting article would allow for additional discussion.

    Superintendent Search Update

    L. Salomons updated the Committee on the subcommittee’s meetings with prospective search consultants. The School Committee will have contracted with a firm prior to the September 14th meeting. The fee is approximately $15,000-$25,000. It is anticipated that a decision on the final candidate would be made by February 2017. The new superintendent would assume his/her duties in August 2017.

    Strategic Plan Update

    M. Kaplan presented an overview of the progress of the current Strategic Plan, which runs through to the end of 2017. There was a discussion on “next steps”. The new superintendent will want to bring his/her own perspective to the new Plan. The School Committee will also reach out to the community for their input. The formulation of a new Strategic Plan takes approximately one-year. The School Committee will proceed with acquiring data and formulate the new plan during the 2017-2018 school year. T. Farmer suggested that the Committee wait until the new superintendent is hired before proceeding with finalizing a new Plan, and possibly formulate a bridge/interim Plan. The goals in the current Strategic Plan need to be completed. The current task forces are running under the umbrella of the current Plan (i.e. music, enrollment, etc.).

    This topic will be a discussion agenda item at a future meeting. Task forces will present to the School Committee at scheduled meetings throughout the school year. The Superintendent provides updates that are directly part of the Strategic Plan. School Committee is not required to make decisions on updates.

    School Committee Goals

    School Committee Policy says that the School Committee has to have goals for the current school year. M. Kaplan asked members for their input on the goals for the coming year. This would involve editing of the goals from year to year. Members would like:

    • information on task forces, the FLES Program, etc.

    • to identify specific goals

    • specific language in the document

    • update of the social media policy

    • examine Policies E, F, G and continue review of H, I, and J (these 5 sections should be reviewed during the 2016-2017 school year)

    • update of the bullying policy and incorporate gender neutral language – M. Trahan will present an update on the bullying task force’s progress to the S.C.

    • to try to get as much work done in the first part of the year

    • establish a meeting calendar for subcommittees

    • provide a “marked up” policy to identify what is being changed

    • to continue review and release of executive session minutes

    • add school committee composition as a goal under policy

    • have a budget document that would encompass Strategic Plan recommendations from working groups and input from the Superintendent.

    Note: There is nothing in the Strategic Plan that warrants a special policy School Committee goal for the next year.

    Goal: Create a bridge document for 2017-2018 and set up a structure for the next Strategic Plan

    Facilities:

    • Heights roof will be completed by the summer of 2017

    • secure necessary funding and work with MSBA for SHS planning, which could be a year-long process

    • continue with maintenance updates at SHS

    • include Heights in the five-year capital plan

    • establish elementary enrollment committee that will make recommendations to the School Committee for options due to schools reaching capacity – first meeting in September

    Goal: Maintain contact with MSBA around the SOI for SHS. Establish a Plan A & B – i.e. capital projects. Heights recommendations should be addressed – i.e. main entrance.

    Budget:

    • T. Farmer continues to work with town boards re: operating budgets

    • have a joint meeting with Finance Committee and the Capital Outlay Committee

    • address budget within Priorities Committee’s recommendations

    • subject for budget subcommittee: how to make the budget process efficient and effective

    Goal: Continue collaboration with Town Committees re: preliminary budget presentations

    Goal: To have task force committees finish their work and provide School Committee with final determinations and recommendations

    Superintendent’s Evaluation

    No changes to the current process for superintendent evaluation

    Public Engagement:

    • Task Force committees complete reports by October including monetary implications (professional development)

    • share findings and recommendations with the public

    • School Committee members attend at least one PTO meeting per year

    Goal: School Committee members will attend at least one PTO meeting per calendar year

    Goal: Complete plans to improve parent groups/School Committee communication

    Policy JICH (Substance Abuse); Policy IHAMA (Teaching About Drugs, Alcohol and Tobacco); Policy JLCD (Administering Medicines to Students)

    JKICH (Substance Abuse

    M. Kaplan updated the Committee on the mandated changes to the laws around drug use and administration of medicine (NARCAN). School nurses will be trained to administer the medication. School Committee is asked to approve language that allows the administering of NARCAN in the district by trained medical staff (nurses). The language has been provided by MASC. School Committee would also need to vote approval of the medication being administered by non-medical staff. E. Smith Lee would approve medical staff but would like to wait on approving non-medical staff applying the medication.

    MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Wiseman) Moved that the School Committee officially adopt the use of NARCAN by medical staff and first responders. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    Policy IHAMA (Teaching About Drugs

    Previous policy included E-cigarettes – specific language is needed in the policy that addresses drug use. MASC has provided the language. Approved policy must be put on the school department’s website. Much of the language is already incorporated into the Student Handbook. SHS will include information regarding NARCAN in the student handbook.

    MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Salomons) That the School Committee approve the recommended MASC language for policies IHAMA and IHAMB. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    T. Farmer recommended the inclusion of additional language into IHAMB and that cross references be put back in the policy.

    MOTION: (Wiseman/Smith-Lee) Moved the School Committee approve the additional language for IHAMB as recommended by the Superintendent. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    FY 2018 Budget – Initial Discussion

    It was noted that this discussion is very early and would not be an in-depth budget discussion. As indicated by the Town, the budget increase will be within the 2% range. T. Farmer presented an overview of the FY 18 draft budget-planning document that was in the drop-box for Committee review. E. Smith-Lee asked that preliminary budget discussion be an agenda item at a September meeting..

    SHS Field Light Donation Update

    M. Kaplan updated the Committee on the donation for light installation at SHS. Cost of running the lights will be offset by replacing the current lights with LED lighting and ticket sales. Night games bring in revenue. Installation will be complete by early fall. School Committee will decide approval of the donation at the September 14th meeting.

    ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES

    None at this time

    SUPERINTENDENT’S ITEMS

    None at this time

    Other Business

    There being no other business, M. Kaplan asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session and enter into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing contract negotiations and an update on legal matters.

    MOTION: (Smith-Lee/Kaplan) Moved to adjourn Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    Open Session was adjourned at 12:27 p.m.

    Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee

    Back-up Materials for the July 27, 2016 meeting

    • copies of correspondence

    • copies of consent agenda materials

    • copy of S.C. goals

    • copy of ’18 preliminary budget document

    • copy of information re: field light donation

    • copy of School Committee evaluation form