• SC Minutes 12/21/2016


    OPEN SESSION

    SHARON PUBLIC SCHOOLS

    School Committee Meeting

    Wednesday, December 21, 2016

    Sharon Middle School

    75 Mountain Street

    Sharon, MA 02067

    Present: Katie Currul-Dykeman, Jon Hitter, Marcy Kaplan, Laura Salomons, Emily Smith-Lee, Veronica Wiseman

    Also present for Open Session: Tim Farmer, Jahmal Mosley, John Marcus, Susan Fisichella, Jose Libano, Elizabeth Murphy, David Heller, Jason Wolfe, and members of the community

    Open Session was called to order at 7:03 p.m.

    PUBLIC FEEDBACK

    Correspondence

    The following correspondence was received:

    1) Letter from community member inquiring whether there is a planned 1:1 initiative update and if a comprehensive report on the program will be presented at a S.C. meeting and if there is a planned report on the efficacy of the iReady Program.

    SHS Student Representative

    Dr. Libano updated the Committee on the recent happenings at SHS:

    • Successful Holiday Concert was held on Dec. 20th

    • Radio Club is sponsoring karaoke night on Dec. 21st

    • Select Choir performed at the State House

    • SHS will host 400-500 students for a music festival on Jan. 6th

    • Parents have been notified re: SHS accreditation process

    • Winter sports are off to a successful start

    DECISION ITEMS

    Consent Agenda:

    1. Approve Executive & Open Session Minutes (Nov. 30) and Open Session Minutes (Dec. 7)

    2. Approve SHS Exxon Mobile Donation ($1,000)

    3. Approve CHARMS Collaborative Agreement Amendment

    4. Approve $2500 SBIRT Grant from Norfolk District Attorney’s Office

    5. Approve new SHS Clubs

    6. Approve Homeschooling Requests

    MOTION: (Salomons/Smith-Lee) Moved to approve consent agenda items #1-6 as presented. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    Separate vote:

    1. Approve Policies INJDC Employee Use of Social Media and JICJB Student Use of Social Media

    MOTION: (Salomons/Wiseman) Moved to approve Policies INJDC Employee Use of Social Media and JICJB Student Use of Social Media as presented, amended and discussed at previous meetings. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    2. Approve a Warrant for a Future Town Meeting re: change in the number of members serving on the School Committee

    MOTION: (Wiseman/Salomons) Moved to approve a future Town Meeting warrant to change the number of members serving on the School Committee from 6 to 7 members. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    3. Approve Rory Marty to the Sharon Standing Building Committee

    MOTION: (Salomons/Smith-Lee) Moved to approve the appointment of Rory Marty to the Sharon Standing Building Committee. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-Lee, Wiseman

    E. Smith-Lee asked if the Standing Building Committee also needed a S.C. representative. T. Farmer will contact Chair, Gordon Gladstone for clarification.

    DISCUSSION ITEMS

    Social/Emotional Taskforce Update-Susan Fisichella

    S. Fisichella, with the aid of PowerPoint, updated the Committee on the accomplishments of the Social-Emotional Learning Task Force. Areas covered in the presentation included:

    • Explanation for the process by which children acquire the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to manage emotions, demonstrate concern for others, establish positive relationships, make responsible choices, handle social situations

    • State guideline for content areas: self-management, self-awareness, social awareness, relationship skills, decision making as well as guidance on instruction

    • Benefits of SEL: academic achievement, personal-social development, improved attitudes and behaviors, reduction of emotional stress

    • SPS tools to assist in achieving state initiatives include: teacher tool kit, Strong Kids pilot program, parental involvement, parental extension activities, parent training and information sessions

    • Recap of completed activities for 2015-2016

    • Updates for 2016-2017

    • Next steps

    Following the presentation, there was a lengthy Q&A with the Committee.

    LEAP Program Update-Susan Fisichella and Elizabeth Murphy

    Student Services Director S. Fisichella and East Elementary Principal, E. Murphy updated the Committee on the success of the LEAP Program to date and the proposed plans for LEAP expansion to include grade 6 for the 2017-2018 school year.

    Areas covered in the presentation included:

    • testimonials from current LEAP students

    • outline of how LEAP students are serviced as well as how they are integrated into regular classrooms

    • additional staffing would be required if the LEAP program were expanded to include grades 7 and 8

    • SHS offers academic support during the daily Eagle Block

    Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee

    Assessment Advisory Committee Correspondence to DESE

    J. Libano, D. Heller and J. Wolfe presented, for School Committee approval, a draft letter to be sent to the DESE re: student testing linked to teacher evaluations. Discussion included:

    • Role of DDM (District Determined Measures)

    • Student learning indicators

    The Assessment Advisory Committee is seeking S.C. endorsement for the proposed letter to the DESE.

    Following the presentation, there was a Q&A with the Committee.

    S.C. will vote on the proposed letter at their January 11th meeting. The Advisory Committee will make a formal presentation to the S.C. in the spring.

    An Act to Modernize Municipal Finance and Government

    T. Farmer presented an overview of Chapter 56 (warrants for payment of bills), which would allow one S.C. member to be the designee to sign warrants. There was a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of having a S.C. designee. Members asked for more clarity on the language. Mr. Farmer will investigate and report to the S.C. at a future meeting.

    It was the consensus of the Committee to keep the current procedure in place (all S.C. members review and sign warrants), with the possibility of assigning a signature designee for the summer months.

    ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES

    • Superintendent Search Update (Potential Naming of Finalists)

    M. Kaplan updated on the Superintendent search. All matters discussed are still confidential. Finalist names will be presented at the January 4th meeting.

    • L. Salomons gave an update on the recent budget subcommittee meeting. Areas of discussion included: 1:1 technology initiative, capital outlay, kindergarten and athletic revolving accounts, 2018 budget. Kindergarten revolving account balance will be a discussion agenda item at a January meeting.

    • Priorities Committee is scheduled to meet January 5th

    • An additional S.C. meeting has been added – January 4th, in addition to the regularly scheduled meetings of January 11th and 25th

    SUPERINTENDENT’S ITEMS

    T. Farmer, with the aid of PowerPoint, updated the Committee on the following:

    • The State requires that districts designate a Records Access Officer, who will assist individuals seeking public records. Helen Campanario, Human Resources Manager, will be designated as the Records Access Officer.

    • Town Administrator has recommended that departments prepare FY18 with a 2.79% budget increase. Based on the information from the Town Administrator, administration has made some adjustments to the FY18 budget and will present the draft budget to the S.C. on January 11th.

    • Homework Task Force will meet in January, February and March; have created a “discussion board”. Parents will be sent the link on January 6th.

    • T. Farmer presented an overview of a “for profit” organization called Education Advisory Board.

    Other Business

    There being no other business, M. Kaplan asked for a motion to adjourn Open Session.

    MOTION: (Salomons/Smith-Lee) Moved to adjourn Open Session to enter an Executive Session to discuss negotiations with non-union personnel re: Superintendent Search Committee that was not reasonably anticipated within the past 48 hours, with the intent not to return to Open Session. Yes vote: Currul-Dykeman, Hitter, Kaplan, Salomons, Smith-LeeWiseman

    Open Session was adjourned at 9:02 p.m.

    Submitted on behalf of the School Committee by: Helen Campanario, Recording Secretary to the School Committee

    Back-up Materials for the December 21, 2016 meeting

    • copies of correspondence

    • copies of consent agenda materials

    • copy of draft policies INJDC and JICJB

    • copy of PowerPoint (Social/Emotional Taskforce Update)

    • copy of assessment Advisory Correspondence

    • copy of information re: Act to Modernize Municipal Finance & Government

    • copy of Supt. Items PowerPoint